How Does CBD Help with Weight Loss?
CBD – also known as cannabidiol – is popular for its potential therapeutic benefits.
Research states that It can act as anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-convulsant, anti-psychotic, and potential anti-obesity properties .
For this reason, many people also believe that CBD may help with weight loss. Now the question arises, can CBD help you lose weight? If yes, how does CBD help with weight loss?
Let’s find out whether you can use CBD for weight loss or not, and what research and scientific evidence suggest regarding the use of cannabidiol (CBD) for losing weight.
Potential Mechanism of CBD for Weight Loss
Before we discuss the potential mechanism of CBD for weight loss, note that only CBD can not contribute to weight loss, and no evidence has directly supported the use of cannabidiol for losing or maintaining weight. However, the majority of the research has indicated that CBD has many potentials that assist in reducing weight in multiple ways.
The following potential mechanisms of CBD may help an individual with weight loss:
1. Appetite Suppression
2. Fat Browning
3. Inflammation Reduction
4. Sleep Improvement
1. Appetite Suppression
CBD or cannabidiol interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system. This system plays a vital role in regulating appetite and metabolism along with other functions.
By interacting with endocannabinoids, CBD might reduce or suppress your appetite and reduce food intake. In this case, it’s better to opt for THC-free CBD. Because THC is more likely to increase hunger. Also, CBD can boost your metabolism as it interacts with the endocannabinoid system. Your metabolism provides energy for basic body functions by converting food’s nutrients into energy.
2. Fat Browning
We’ve two types of fat in our body. White Fat and Brown Fat.
Most of our fat is white fat that stores extra calories. Too much white fat slows the production of adiponectin, which can raise insulin levels and lead to obesity .
On the other hand, brown fat is good for the body that burns calories. According to the National Institute of Health, “brown fat breaks down blood sugar (glucose) and fat molecules to create heat and help maintain body temperature” .
People with healthy weight are likely to have more brown fat compared to overweight or obese people.
CBD can potentially help to change the type of fat in your body from white to brown. cannabidiol can activate CB2 receptors located in white fat cells and convert them into brown fat cells by increasing lipolysis (fat breakdown metabolic process).
3. Inflammation Reduction
A healthy diet and exercise are the best things you can do to reduce weight. CBD has anti-inflammatory properties which can help with muscle pain and fatigue.
So, indirectly it could be beneficial for getting back to physical activities and exercise. Also, animal research suggests that CBD might decrease inflammation linked to metabolic disorders.
⇒ Related: How Does CBD Reduce Inflammation ?
4. Sleep Improvement
Are you aware of the phrase “stress eating”? Research suggests that stress can push you toward overeating.
We tend to eat more when we’re stressed, in pain, or tired. CBD is admired for managing pain, stress, and fatigue which leads to better sleep. Overall, the improvement in sleep can potentially reduce overeating and help you stick with your daily diet.
⇒ Related: CBD for Sleep
Scientific Studies on CBD and Weight Loss
Scientific studies explore the potential of CBD for weight loss and reveal intriguing yet preliminary findings. Besides, most of the studies are based on animals or in vitro studies which may or may not be translated into human beings.
For instance, a test tube study found that CBD can turn white fat into favorable and calorie-burning brown fat and assist in reducing weight .
Another Animal study suggests that CBD can affect body weight by interacting with CB1 and CB2 receptors. It indicates that “cannabinoids functionally interact with classical neurotransmitters in neural networks that control energy metabolism and feeding behavior .
Another study on mice suggests that “High dose (10 mg/kg) JWH-015 reduced food intake after 1, 2, 4, and 24 h in lean mice” .
However, limited research conducted on humans indicates a lack of strong evidence supporting CBD’s efficacy in weight management. In short, from a scientific point of view, anyone with weight issues should not fully depend on CBD to lose weight. Also, it is assumed that CBD might potentially help some people lose weight and might make others gain weight.
Can CBD Help You Lose or Maintain Weight?
First of all, CBD is generally considered safe. That’s why despite the lack of strong scientific evidence, you can use it as an assistant in maintaining a healthy body weight and lifestyle.
Still, you should not take any form of CBD hoping that it will work magically and vanish all the fats from your body. You can incorporate CBD products in your daily diet along with a mindful eating habit and regular exercise.
Thus, CBD can indirectly contribute to weight loss. Read the following section to learn how CBD can help you lose or maintain a healthy weight.
How Does CBD Help With Weight Loss?
CBD has anti-inflammatory effects. It reduces pain, and stress, and improves sleep quality. So, it can be useful for treating post-workout muscle pain and making you ready for High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Plus, CBD allows you to stay focused during exercise and enhance your gym session.
Besides, your body weight is linked with sleep. According to the Sleep Foundation, sleep deprivation can create a hormonal imbalance in the body weight and promote overeating and weight gain. Taking CBD increases sleep duration and improves sleep quality which may indirectly help you to maintain a healthy weight.
Furthermore, According to the Medical News Today, there is a link between chronic stress and obesity. Stress can trigger overeating and binge eating (eating unhealthy food) and cause weight gain. Therefore, using a recommended amount of CBD can get you out of stressful situations. As you might have heard, CBD has calming and soothing effects that make you feel relaxed.
Besides, “CBD has been shown to help reduce the levels of cortisol in the body, which can help to reduce stress and its associated symptoms” .
⇒ Related Topic: Do CBD Candies Help With Weight Loss?
CBD Products for Weight Loss
You can easily find hundreds of brands offering CBD edibles such as CBD gummies, CBD oil, CBD syrups, CBD honey sticks, and other food items. Many people use these products hoping that they might aid in maintaining weight.
Besides, CBD topicals can also be a help, especially for post-workout recovery. You can apply quality CBD-infused body rubs to your skin and get relief from sore muscles and joints. This will boost your mind and body and encourage you for the next gym session.
How Do I Use CBD For Weight Loss?
To incorporate CBD into your daily routine for potential weight management benefits, consider the following suggestions:
• CBD Syrups: For potential appetite control, add a few drops of CBD syrups to your morning smoothie or coffee. It will boost energy as well. For faster absorption, consider using syrup sublingually (under the tongue).
• CBD Capsules: You can conveniently take your daily CBD dosage with CBD oil infused capsules to ensure consistent and accurate intake. Note that CBD capsules are part of CBD edibles and keep in mind that capsules shell may contain animal products.
• CBD Gummies: Take the most delicious and popular form of CBD — CBD gummies as convenient health supplements. You can choose from a variety of flavors but be patient as CBD edibles take longer to show effects compared to other methods. If you’re looking for a plant-based diet, choose a vegan-friendly gummy.
• CBD Topical: You can use CBD topical products such as body rubs, lotions, or balms designed for localized use. Make sure to select a topical made with skin-friendly ingredients. Before or after a workout session, gently massage a recommended amount of topicals to the affected areas and get quick relief from pain and muscle soreness.
Note that these CBD products are not proven methods for losing weight. But surely, they can be a great help to make your weight loss journey easier.
→ Read More: Can I Rub CBD Oil on My Skin for Pain Relief?
Potential Downsides of Consuming CBD Products for Weight Loss
As we’ve said earlier, CBD products are generally safe to use unless you’re a pregnant mother or are taking certain medications. However, according to the FDA, taking very high doses can cause liver injury in people with advanced liver disease . So, make sure to take the recommended dosage.
Besides, in rare instances, you might experience some other mild side effects:
- Dry Mouth
- Decreased alertness
- Mood and appetite changes
- Gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea
- Heightened Anxiety
⇒ Read More: Side Effects of CBD Cream
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some queries frequently asked by searchers regarding “How does CBD help with weight loss”. We’ve answered these questions to provide you a better insight.
1. Does CBD Help You Lose Weight
CBD is not a recommended supplement for obesity. However, integrating CBD into your daily diet along with healthy food and regular exercise can make your weight loss journey easier. CBD can indirectly contribute to weight loss through appetite control, converting white fat cells into calorie-burning brown fat, reducing inflammation, and improving sleep quality. Besides, CBD can improve mental focus and topical CBD can reduce muscle soreness and joint pain. These can be beneficial for enhancing gym sessions.
2. Can CBD Make You Feel Hungrier?
CBD alone will not make someone feel hungrier. Increased appetite is mostly common with the use of marijuana. Marijuana and its psychoactive compound THC can induce “munchies”. So, it’s better to avoid CBD products that contain THC.
3. Will Taking CBD Oil Help You Lose Weight?
Losing weight cannot be achieved by consuming CBD oil alone. It can only be beneficial if combined with a nutritious diet, frequent exercise, and balanced food intake. It's also important to remember that there is insufficient scientific evidence to support the use of CBD products, including CBD oil, as a weight-loss supplement.
The Bottom Line
Hope you’ve already understood “How does CBD help with weight loss”. To sum up, CBD’s role in weight loss is not fully proven. Research suggests potential mechanisms such as appetite suppression, enhanced metabolism, fat browning, inflammation reduction, and sleep improvement, yet it lacks conclusive evidence in humans.
However, CBD products such as tincture syrups, rubs, gummies, or CBD oil can be used safely for weight management along with physical exercise and a healthy diet. Though this doesn’t promise you an immediate weight-loss outcome, it will be admirably conducive to your weight-loss journey.
1. Bielawiec, P., Harasim-Symbor, E., & Chabowski, A. (2020). Phytocannabinoids: useful drugs for the treatment of obesity? Special focus on cannabidiol. Frontiers in Endocrinology, 11.
2. Tiberian, J. (2022, July 11). Understanding the Colors of Fat: How to Convert White to Brown Fat. MDVIP.
3. How brown fat improves metabolism. (2019, September 17). National Institutes of Health (NIH).
4. Parray, H. A., & Yun, J. W. (2016). Cannabidiol promotes browning in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 416(1–2), 131–139.
5. Koch, M. (2017). Cannabinoid Receptor Signaling in Central Regulation of Feeding Behavior: A Mini-Review. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 11.
6. Verty, A. N. A., Stefanidis, A., McAinch, A. J., Hryciw, D. H., & Oldfield, B. J. (2015). Anti-Obesity effect of the CB2 receptor agonist JWH-015 in Diet-Induced obese mice. PLOS ONE, 10(11), e0140592.
7. Admin. (2022, September 29). 6 Unexpected Benefits of CBD – The Yale Wave.
8. Research, C. F. D. E. A. (2019, October 17). FDA warns about rare occurrence of serious liver injury with use of hepatitis C medicines Mavyret, Zepatier, and Vosevi in some patients with advanced liver disease. U.S. Food And Drug Administration.