How to Use CBD Balm: A Beginner’s Guide to CBD Balm Uses
CBD balm or CBD rubs, whatever you call it is a topical CBD product, generally used on the skin. If you’re someone who engages in regular physical activities or workouts, CBD muscle balm can help soothe your muscle and joint soreness and support workout recovery.
CBD body balm is infused with organic CBD extract – derived from the hemp plant, along with other essential ingredients. Animal studies and some clinical and pre-clinical trials indicate that CBD has anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and anti-arthritic properties .
64% of Americans use CBD for pain . That’s why, to treat various pain-related ailments and symptoms CBD-infused balms have become so popular among CBD users.
In this blog, we’ll discuss CBD balm uses, benefits, potential side effects, and how you can find the best balm to relieve pain.
What is CBD Balm?
CBD balm is a topical skincare product infused with CBD (AKA Cannabidiol). CBD is a cannabinoid derived from hemp. CBD rubbing balm not only possesses CBD but also has other skin-friendly ingredients such as vitamin E, beeswax, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and so on.
People mostly rub it or massage it on the skin. So, it falls under the category of CBD topicals. The use of CBD massage balm mainly provides localized relief, particularly for muscle and joint soreness.
Unlike CBD edibles, topical CBD products including muscle balm don’t enter the bloodstream. Instead, they work on the surface of the skin. Everyone has an endocannabinoid system that connects the brain to the body. When CBD balm is applied to the skin, cannabinoids bind CB1 and CB2 receptors , found in the skin’s epidermal cells.
Note that cannabinoids only bind to the local receptors of your skin. So, CBD muscle balm is considered non-psychoactive.
What Are The Benefits of CBD Balm?
As we have mentioned, CBD body balm has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Anecdotal evidence suggests that people who have used topical CBD products have received significant benefits associated with pain, anxiety, and sleep .
Many people have used CBD rubbing balm and experienced relief from muscle and joint soreness. In this section, you’ll find out the benefits of topical CBD balm.
1. Localized Relief for Muscle and Joint
After a tough workout session, it is challenging to get out of the bed next morning due to muscle and joint pain. One of the primary benefits of CBD topical balm is to provide localized relief for sore muscles and joints. The combination of CBD and other skin-nourishing ingredients creates a potent formula. You can directly apply a small amount of balm to the areas of discomfort. Whether it’s post-workout soreness or occasional aches, the balm works on the surface of the skin eases tension, and promotes a sense of relaxation and relief.
2. Support Post-Workout Recovery
It's normal for gym fanatics or athletes to push their physical limits. In this situation, post-workout recovery becomes obligatory. It is theorized that CBD balm may play a role in supporting muscle cell recovery. If you apply the body balm infused with CBD after a high-intensity workout such as High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), Tabata training, Speed walking, or Jump Roping, it may contribute to a quicker recovery process.
3. Promotes Relaxation and Pain-Relief
CBD is known for its soothing effects. When it comes to CBD balm which is specifically designed for the skin, can help you to feel more relaxed and pain-free throughout the day. The balm’s rich texture makes it ideal for massaging into the skin. Just scoop out a good amount of balm from the jar and use your fingertips to glide over the affected areas. That’s it! It will ease muscle and joint discomfort and promote relaxation.
4. CBD Balm Skin Benefits
Apart from pain relief, CBD balm works wonders on your skin as well, especially with dry skin, eczema, rashes, wrinkles, acne, seborrheic dermatitis, and so on. Besides, it can reduce redness and skin irritation by regulating sebum production and with its anti-inflammatory effects. Balm infused with CBD also has other hydrating and moisturizing ingredients that can bring revitalization and healing to damaged skin.
5. Non-Invasive and External Application
CBD topical balm remains external and provides localized effects without systematic absorption. This non-invasive nature of CBD muscle balm can be a suitable option for those who don’t prefer internal consumption of CBD and want a more direct approach to relief. The external application of CBD also gives greater control over the dosage and users don’t have to think of its psychoactive effects and daily CBD limits.
Also Check Out: How Does CBD Reduce Inflammation?
How to Use CBD Balm?
Using CBD is super easy. Consistent use of CBD muscle balm can reduce muscle and joint soreness and help with skin conditions.
Here's a step-by-step process for using CBD balm:
- Identify the Affected Area: Determine the area where you’re feeling discomfort, soreness, or tension.
- Cleanse the Skin: While not mandatory, applying balm to clean, dry skin can enhance absorption and provide quick relief. For optimal absorption, consider using CBD balm after a shower when your skin is clean, and pores are open.
- Take a Small Amount of Balm: Scoop out a small amount of CBD body balm using your fingertips. The amount depends on the size of the targeted area.
- Rub the Balm onto the Skin: Gently massage the balm onto the affected area using a circular motion. It’ll ensure even coverage and complete absorption.
- Reapply as Needed: CBD balm can be reapplied throughout the day as needed for continuous relief.
Additional Tips for Optimal Use
To get the maximum positive effects, here we’ve enlisted some additional tips for using CBD balm.
- Timing Matters: To get relief from post-workout, apply CBD muscle balm within a few hours after exercising.
- Incorporate Into Daily Routine: Keep the CBD body balm in your gym bag, purse, or with your toiletries. It will help to make cannabis balm part of your post-workout and self-care routine.
- Temperature Considerations: CBD rubs work best when stored in a cool and dry place. Also, ensure to keep it away from sunlight or extreme heat sources to maintain its potency and purity.
- Massage Techniques: You can use foam rollers or massage sticks to get more effective results and live a pain-free and stress-free day.
When to Use CBD Balm
You can use CBD rubbing balm just like regular skin products. So, use it whenever you feel like using it. However, some of the most suitable times for using balm could be before or after a workout, or before bed.
Below are the most suitable times for using balm:
- Pre-Workout: You can apply CBD balm before a workout to warm up muscles and prepare them for physical activity.
- Post-Workout: Applying CBD-infused balm after an intense workout is the most common practice. It aids recovery and soothes muscles and joints.
- Throughout the Day: You can use CBD balm anytime you want throughout the day, especially when you feel discomfort.
- Before Bed: If you are kind of agitated or feel unstable, applying cannabis rub before bedtime can help to relax and promote better sleep quality.
Safety Considerations and Potential Side Effects
CBD-infused body balm is safe to use and generally, people don’t experience any adverse effects. Nevertheless, in some rare instances, some people may face mild side effects. For example, people who are allergic to certain ingredients might experience side effects from using balm.
Here is a list of safety issues and possible side effects that you should keep in mind:
- Skin irritation
- Dry Skin
- Certain ingredients sensitivity
- Possible interactions with certain medications
- Accidental ingestion
- Drowsiness (Rare)
- Interactions with other topicals
Always make sure that the body balm you’re using doesn’t contain any specific ingredients that you’re allergic to. You can do a patch test to know whether the balm is safe for you or not. Still, If any side effect occurs persistently, consult a healthcare professional.
Of note, to avoid minor side effects, make sure to buy the best quality balm that possesses no harmful substances, chemicals, or preservatives. Read the following section to learn how to find out the high-quality balm.
Read more: Side Effects of CBD Cream
How to Find the Best CBD Balm
To find the best CBD muscle balm for your skincare routine, consider the following criteria and factors that ensure safety, quality, and transparency:
Look for products made by companies that provide proof of third-party testing conducted by an ISO 17025-compliant lab.
Choose a CBD balm by knowing the source of the hemp. The hemp used in the product provides insight into its quality and potential contaminants.
Make sure the balm you’re buying doesn’t have more than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). You can verify this information through the product’s certificate of analysis (COA).
Check if the product passes testing for pesticides, heavy metals, and molds as indicated in the COA.
Read the labeling and check the list of ingredients. Choose a balm that contains natural and skin-friendly ingredients.
Check the potency of the CBD. The concentration of CBD in the product may vary.
You can assess a CBD brand by checking customer reviews, FDA warnings, and health claims.
Lastly, always make sure to buy CBD body rub from a trustworthy and reputable CBD shop.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Below are some of the questions that our esteemed customers have regarding CBD balm uses. We've provided further context by responding to these queries.
What is CBD Balm Used for?
CBD balm is a topical product infused with cannabidiol. It is used for localized relief, and soothing sore muscles, and joints. The recommended uses are muscle soreness, inflammation, cramping, muscle strain, skin conditions, arthritis, dermatitis, headaches, and sunburn.
How Does Topical CBD Work?
Topical CBD products don’t enter your bloodstream. Instead, they bind the cannabinoid receptors (CB1, and CB2) found in the skin’s epidermis. By engaging with the local receptors, they potentially reduce inflammation and soothe discomfort.
Does CBD Balm Really Work for Pain?
Yes. CBD muscle balm works for pain. A 2022 study published in the National Institute of Health, found that CBD improved pain in 83% of the Participants .
The Bottom Line
CBD balm uses – is a straightforward process. You can easily use them like regular cream, or lotion at any time and anywhere. They are considered generally safe and effective for muscle soreness, joint pain, and post-workout recovery. Just apply a balanced amount of balm where it hurts and wait for its absorption. To avoid any potential side effects such as skin irritation, or itching, be sure to buy the best quality CBD balm that has no harmful substances.
- Mlost, J., Bryk, M., & Starowicz, K. (2020). Cannabidiol for pain treatment: Focus on pharmacology and mechanism of action. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 21(22), 8870. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21228870
- Julia, N. (2023, February 17). CBD Statistics & Facts (2023 Update) - CFAH. CFAH. https://cfah.org/cbd-statistics/
- An, D., Peigneur, S., Hendrickx, L. A., & Tytgat, J. (2020). Targeting cannabinoid receptors: Current status and prospects of natural products. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 21(14), 5064. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21145064
- CBD for Arthritis Pain | Arthritis Foundation. (n.d.). https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/managing-pain/pain-relief-solutions/cbd-for-arthritis-pain
- Frane, N., Stapleton, E., Iturriaga, C., Ganz, M., Rasquinha, V. J., & Duarte, R. A. (2022). Cannabidiol as a treatment for arthritis and joint pain: an exploratory cross-sectional study. Journal of Cannabis Research, 4(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s42238-022-00154-9