CBD Edible Gummies Side Effects: Is It Safe for You?
The first thing you must know about CBD is that CBD is completely safe. Mostly, you don’t need to worry about the side effects of CBD products, including CBD gummies. However, cannabidiol (CBD), like any other over-the-counter (OTC) medicine, may have some minor side effects.
Now the important question to ask here is, do you need to be concerned about CBD edible gummies side effects? There is no straightforward answer to this. If the side effects you’re experiencing are severe, then you should consult your doctor immediately.
Generally, side effects of gummies don’t occur unless you take more than recommended doses or have serious medical conditions. Besides, the adverse effects of gummies or any CBD products depend on various factors.
This blog will discuss the possible side effects of CBD gummies and answer whether it is safe for you or not.
But before that, let’s start with a few basics of CBD gummies.
What Are CBD Gummies?
CBD gummies are chewable sweet little candies. It will never make you feel like you're taking medicine. The most amazing part of edible gummies is you can take them anywhere.
The major ingredients of CBD-infused gummies are CBD oil, CBN, THCV, THC, and various fruity flavors. Interestingly, CBD gummies taste just like regular candies.
Another important thing about these cute little candies is they contain a tiny amount of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol). THC is psychoactive. But the trace amount of it won’t make you stoned. Instead, you’ll receive added benefits from it.
Here is a list of unique features of edible gummies:
- Easy and discrete consumption
- Precise dosage
- Long-lasting effects
- Delicious flavors
Please keep in mind that if you want THC-free gummies, go for CBD isolate or broad-spectrum gummies. You can take full-spectrum CBD gummies if you desire a tiny bit of THC for extra medicinal advantages. Whatever gummies you choose, always visit your doctor before incorporating them into your daily routine.
Now, why should you take, and who should take CBD edible gummies? What are the positive effects that are intriguing thousands of people to ingest it regularly? Let’s find out.
Positive Effects of CBD Edible Gummies
Hopefully, you already know that CBD-infused gummies have a high benefit and a low risk. It’s popular for a variety of reasons from supporting inflammatory function to improving sleep quality.
Here is a list of positive CBD gummies effects:
- Support inflammatory function.
- Reduce chronic pain.
- Reduce anxiety.
- Improve sleep quality.
Note: that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) hasn’t approved any CBD products except Epidiolex. This drug can treat seizure disorders in children and adults.
Support Inflammatory Function
You are probably thinking about “How does CBD reduce inflammation?” Numerous animal studies have found that CBD edible gummies can support inflammatory function through several mechanisms. Firstly, CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). It can help to regulate inflammation.
Besides, This ECS system can modulate cytokine production (signaling proteins that help control inflammation; Via Cleveland Clinic) as well which influences the immune response. That’s not all. CBD’s antioxidant properties reduce oxidative stress associated with inflammation.
Reduce Chronic Pain
One of the health benefits of CBD gummies is the reduction of chronic pain. This is also done by interacting with the ECS system. You might have heard the word “painkillers”. In medical terminology, this is also known as analgesic properties.
Gummies infused with CBD can lessen your pain through its analgesic properties. It modulates pain perception and reduces inflammation. Many people reported that they have been relieved from conditions like arthritis, neuropathic pain, and chronic back pain.
Edible CBD like gummies or CBD syrups start working within 30 minutes to 2 hours. One of the popular benefits of gummies is reducing anxiety.
When someone consumes gummies, he or she feels a sense of relaxation and calmness. It's assumed that CBD-infused gummies may influence serotonin receptors in the brain similar to some anti-anxiety medications.
Besides, CBD gummies may help to regulate the body’s responses to stress and anxiety-inducing situations. This may decrease the psychological symptoms related to anxiety.
Improve Sleep Quality
You can enjoy a deep and restful sleep after ingesting a CBD gummy. As we have mentioned earlier, CBD helps to reduce anxiety and stress with its calming effects that eventually contribute to quality sleep.
It is also assumed that CBD may influence the body’s sleep-wake cycle which promotes regular and restful sleep patterns. Besides, some studies indicate that CBD gummies can increase the time spent in the REM stage of sleep.
Side Effects of CBD Edible Gummies
The CBD edible gummies side effects are mild and occur rarely. However, there are both short-term and long-term side effects. Besides, you may only experience adverse effects, if you overdose on CBD or have certain medical conditions.
Also, the negative side effects of CBD gummies may occur if you take it with certain prescription medications. Normally, consuming 1500 mg of CBD per day is well-tolerated.
Here are the 6 common adverse effects of taking a CBD edible gummy:
- Dry Mouth
- Changes in Weight or Appetite
- Diarrhea, Nausea, or Vomiting
- Drowsiness or sleepiness
- Blood Pressure
#1: Dry Mouth
As we have discussed, CBD interacts with the ECS system by binding cannabinoid receptors. It regulates various psychological processes including saliva production.
Cannabidiol binds CB1 and CB2 receptors. The submandibular glands in your mouth have CB1 receptors. When CBD binds this receptor, it may momentarily reduce the secretion of saliva. This can ultimately lead to the sensation of dry mouth.
Note: that you can avoid the effects of gummies by staying hydrated with water or juice.
#2: Changes in Weight or Appetite
An increase or decrease in appetite can happen if you take CBD regularly. This side effect is milder than THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol). However, this effect may vary from person to person.
Changes in appetite can be influenced by several factors:
- CBD interaction with ECS can impact the balance between hunger and satiety signals.
- CBD’s anxiolytic effects might indirectly affect appetite. For instance, high stress and anxiety can lead to overeating or undereating.
- Cannabidiol can influence your body’s metabolism and may affect how it processes nutrients.
- Some people may experience an increase in appetite which is also known as “munchies”.
#3: Diarrhea, Nausea or Vomiting
Diarrhea and vomiting are rare CBD gummy side effects. This can happen if someone takes too much CBD.
Here's why these adverse side effects can occur:
- Gastrointestinal Upset: Cannabidiol can interact with the digestive system. By stimulating the digestive process, it can lead to diarrhea, especially when taken in high doses.
- Digestive Sensitivity: You may be more prone to experience this effect if you have a sensitive digestive system.
- Quality and Purity: Contaminants or impurities in low-quality CBD products may lead to digestive discomfort.
- Drug Interactions: CBD can interact with certain drugs which may intensify the side effects and potentially lead to nausea or vomiting.
#4: Drowsiness or Sleepiness
Drowsiness, sleepiness, or tiredness are common CBD edible gummies side effects. Many people who use CBD for relaxation often desire to feel sleepy. As you know, CBD is popularly used for sleep-related issues, which means this effect may not be considered “adverse”.
However, here’s why you may feel sleepy and drowsy after taking CBD-infused gummy:
- The calming effects of cannabidiol may stimulate drowsiness.
- Reduction of anxiety and stress promotes a sense of calm that can be conducive to falling asleep.
- CBD edible gummies can act as a mild sedative as well if you take higher doses. Remember this is particularly beneficial for people with insomnia or sleep disturbances.
Dizziness is another potential side effect of edible CBD gummies. It’s relatively mild and is not experienced by every user.
CBD may lead to dizziness for the following reasons:
- Sometimes ingesting cannabidiol may cause a drop in blood pressure when taken in higher doses. This drop in blood pressure can result in a feeling of lightheadedness or dizziness.
- Some people are more sensitive to changes in blood pressure or the effects of CBD.
- If you’re taking any medications that affect blood pressure as well, then adding CBD into your daily routine may amplify the effects and lead to dizziness.
Note: To minimize the risk of dizziness, you should always start with a low dose of CBD gummies.
#6: Blood Pressure
Do you know how cannabidiol gummy reduces anxiety or stress? CBD (a type of cannabinoid) responds to stress by lowering the heart rate and blood pressure.
Therefore, if you’re experiencing low blood pressure or taking prescription medications related to blood pressure, then you should consult your doctor before taking any form of CBD products including gummies.
Factors That Influence CBD Edible Gummies Side Effects
Several factors can have an impact on the negative side effects of gummies. For example, taking more than the prescribed amount of CBD is likely to have negative consequences.
Here is a list of factors that can influence the side effects:
1. Dosage: Can you take too much CBD? Certainly, you should not. Higher doses of CBD are more likely to lead to side effects that include drowsiness, dizziness, and stomach upsets. Generally, up to 1500mg of CBD is well-suited.
2. Type of CBD: Different types of CBD extracts have different levels of effects. If someone is looking for THC-free gummies, then he or she should pick Isolate CBD gummies or Broad-Spectrum CBD gummies. However, full-spectrum CBD gummies contain both CBD and THC and may have different effects due to the entourage effect. The adverse effects also depend on the type of CBD you’re taking regularly.
3. CBD Product Quality: Remember the qualities of the gummies matter. Some studies disclosed that more than 70% of CBD products claim false labeling. These low-quality products may contain impurities, inconsistent CBD concentration, or higher levels of THC (More than 0.3%) which can influence the adverse side effects.
4. Pre-Existing Health Conditions: People with certain medical conditions should avoid CBD or take lower doses. For instance, people with liver disease or Parkinson's disease should not take any form of CBD without consulting a healthcare professional. Also, pregnant or nursing mothers should avoid CBD products including gummies. These underlying health issues may stimulate the CBD edible gummies side effects.
5. Interaction with Medication: if you’re using any medications alongside CBD, you must consult a healthcare professional. CBD could potentially interact with naproxen, tramadol, celecoxib, etoricoxib, fluoxetine, and tofacitinib as these are metabolized in the liver by cytochrome P450 enzymes (Via National Institute of Health).
Ways to Minimize the Side Effects of CBD Gummies
Most people don’t experience any adverse effects from gummies. However, the mild effects may occur in some individuals due to various reasons.
To minimize the potential side effects of CBD gummies, you should consider the following tips:
1. Start with a Low Dose: Always start with a low dose and slowly increase it if needed. This can help your body to get accustomed to CBD and decrease the chances of adverse reactions.
2. Purchase CBD from Reputed Brands: Always purchase the best CBD brands products from a licensed cannabis dispensary or a CBD online shop. Make sure that the CBD products are lab tested and provide a COA (Certificate of Analysis) certificate.
3. Take with Food: To avoid gastrointestinal discomfort, you can take CBD gummies with a meal.
4. Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water or juice may reduce the risk of dry mouth, a common CBD edible gummies side effect.
5. Choose Broad-Spectrum or Isolate CBD: Full-spectrum CBD products contain trace amounts of THC. THC is a psychoactive compound extracted from the cannabis sativa plant. Normally, it causes more side effects than CBD (Read CBD Vs THC). To avoid THC and its side effects, choose broad-spectrum or CBD isolate gummies that are free from THC compounds.
6. Try Other Forms of CBD: If edible CBD like gummies causes you unwanted adverse effects, then go for other forms of CBD such as CBD tinctures, oils, capsules, creams, or CBD rubs depending on the need.
Are CBD Gummies Safe?
Gummies are perfectly safe to take, with the exception of a few small negative effects. It will not hurt you unless you have underlying medical conditions or are at risk of drug interactions.
To overcome the negative effects, however, appropriate usage of CBD products is required. Also, make sure to follow your state laws regarding CBD, marijuana, and hemp usage. Finally, if you don't feel well or are unsure whether you should take CBD gummies, talk to a healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding the side effects of CBD gummies. Read these to make yourself more aware of CBD products.
Can CBD gummies cause dizziness?
Dizziness is one of the common side effects of taking CBD-infused gummies. However, this effect is mild and occurs rarely if taken a higher doses. Always begin with a low dose of CBD to avoid dizziness.
Does CBD cause dry mouth?
Yes, CBD can cause dry mouth (aka cottonmouth) as a common side effect. It often occurs due to its interaction with saliva production. By staying hydrated, you can get relief from this symptom.
Do CBD gummies make you high?
Typically, CBD or cannabidiol gummies do not create a “high” or “state of euphoria” as marijuana. They contain only a small amount of THC if it’s a Full-Spectrum gummy. In the case of CBD Isolate and Broad-Spectrum CBD, there is no possibility of causing you high.
The Bottom Line: Talk To Your Doctor
CBD Edible Gummies side effects are low. However, in certain cases, mild side effects such as dry mouth, diarrhea, tiredness, dizziness, and so on may develop. If you have any symptoms of illness or discomfort after using CBD gummies, talk to your doctor right away.